Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday 31 July 2011

Back in the flow

I had a great workout this afternoon. All cardio, with a run and a swim. The best part was being able to run on an incline that I was never able to do before. I have decided to register for the Toronto Waterfront Marathon which is happening in October. I am not going to be doing the marathon, that's insane! But I am going to commit to the 5K. I've never done that before. I've never gotten past week 3 of couch to 5K, but it's definitely something I am capable of, and a goal that I really want to accomplish. I used to hate running. I struggled every single time I did it. However, since I've slowed my pace and started to build my endurance, I actually enjoy it.

Today I ran at 6.0 mph at a 2-2.5 incline. I am proud of that. It's not that fast, and the incline is not that big, but for me that is great, and I am happy with that. For the last two running segments, I did bump the speed up to 6.5 because I like the feel of my legs stretching, lengthening my stride, but I know that it's not a pace I can keep up with...yet anyway :)

As for my eating, I am tracking, no matter what, and I am working with my veggie thing. In response to a comment on my previous post, I will say that if I had the attitude that I hate vegetables and never ever tried to do anything about it, then yes, I would have a horrible attitude toward this whole thing. However, that is not the case. I work on integrating vegetables into my eating in various ways. I've stir fried, steamed, roasted, grilled, ate in salads, ate raw, ate in recipes and by themselves. There are ways that work better for me (raw, combined with other things (soups, stews etc.), and lightly stir fried), and ways that do not (salads, steamed/boiled). I work with my own tastes and preferences. I have recently tried asparagus (grilled), and in certain quantities, really enjoy it. But I cannot, and will not force myself. I am working with me and my body and my tastes, because I know that I will never be able to keep it up otherwise. I will never eat squash...the texture, smell, and taste turn my stomach. However, I am not afraid to try. Last week I roasted peppers and had them in a homemade pesto sauce with angel hair pasta. The texture was no good for me, but I will use them for flavour. I always try and then go from there.

With that being said, I had an amazing dinner last night of grilled marinated chicken, greek salad (one of the few salads I will eat) with fresh oregano and mint, and a light yogurt dill/cucumber sauce. No heavy starches...just some lean protein and veggies. And I was full and satisfied, and it had been done by working with what works for me.

In upcoming news, tomorrow is the start of Ramadan. Ramadan kareem to any followers out there. My Moroccan will be fasting from sun up to sun down, and there will be no contact between us during that time (even holding hands, or a peck on the cheek is considered no-no). It's a hard month and I'm not even fasting! I don't do well with the absence of affection because even if we're not fighting, it too closely resembles the times when we are fighting because of the lack of connection between us during the day...does that make sense? For him it's about spiritual awareness and devotion and he will be spending a lot of time at the mosque and with his Muslim friends. It's a world that I don't really understand (even after almost 4 years!) I am going to use the extra time that I have to keep working on my goals and to prepare for my upcoming teaching gig at Humber college :)

Thankful that tomorrow is a holiday. One more day of relaxation before heading back to the grind. Day 2 of week 1 of couch to 5K tomorrow! That I am excited is a good indication :)

No comments:

Post a Comment